Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Vision of Lovecraft with Poe

I was studying at my desk late one night, dare I say 'weak and weary' when I had a severe asthma attack. I managed to stand up, as I was struggling to breathe. Almost as soon as I got upright, I fell over and hit my head on the desk. I was knocked out. I must have lost consciousness briefly, maybe a couple of seconds. When I blacked out I was in another time and space. Suddenly, outlined in darkness, Lovecraft and Poe were talking with me. They told me that I could write horror stories but I would have to pay the price. I would have to learn to think the way that they did. To do that I must take a trip to the dark side.
All of my life I have been a scientific materialist. I never saw things, not boggle nor haunt, neither angel nor demon. That was before I had my dark side vision. Now I wake up in the dark and sleep write. A line or two, sometimes several paragraphs at a time. Then I go back to sleep until the next paragraph comes along. Finally when I wake up I try to interpret my dream notes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a firm believer that some of the best writing out there has come through dreams.

    ReplyDelete